Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Days that stand out.

"When we look back on our lives, what will remember are the crazy things we did, the times we worked harder to make a day stand out."

-Donald Miller in A Million Miles in A Thousand Years

Its true - the days where everything went right, when I laid on a beach all day or went to bed early aren't the days that stick in your head so well.

And what life is worth living if nothing you ever do sticks?

Its not just that things must go awry for us to remember them, though I have plenty of memories I look back and laugh at, its the days where I went out of my way to make it different. Maybe that's why travel is so satisfying. Everyday on a trip you're working harder to make the day stand out.

But I can do the same thing when I'm at home. After reading this passage on Saturday I baked some crackers, bought some cheese and took Chris on a bike ride up to a little-known mount in the city with a great view of Jamaica Plain. The uphill bike ride wasn't cake, but the hard work to get to the top made the view icing.

I promised myself to keep working harder to make my days stand out.

No comments: