Sunday, February 22, 2009

Best Places for Being Bougie in Boston



I filled this weekend with good wine, modern art and lots of cheese.  I kicked off my bougie weekend with a wine tasting in the South End.  The Wine Emporium had a bubbly wine rep and a good deal on 3 bottles.  (Good thing too because we finished them all the next night.)

Saturday I shared my new favorite nook of  Boston with Chris and Colleen--Roslindale Village.  We started at the Boston Cheese Cellar, a food store you actually want to be smelly.  Chris gravitated to the stinky, strong British cheeses.  Colleen tested all the French selections.  I nabbed some more Spanish cheese to go with my membrillo and some holy swiss.  

Next stop was Fornax Bread Company for fresh bread then Tony's Italian Market for buffalo mozzerella, gnocchi and prosciutto.  Last, we swung by the Roslindale Fish Market, which was stocked with giant slabs of fish, gallon jugs of olives and curious cans of greek specialties.  I picked up some stuffed grape leaves and Socrates soap.  

We then proceeded to cook and eat for several hours.  Cheese plates, gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce, squash tortelli with sage.  And 7 bottles of wine.  (To be fair, there were 8 of us.)

Sunday more cheese with breakfast then off to the Institute of Contemporary Art for Shepard Fairey's first museum exhibition.  The museum is a gorgeous one, a glass, boxy structure that juts out over the Boston harbor.  The exhibit was a raw, beautiful and thought-provoking one.  After seeing so much of Fairey's work - clean-lined posters, stenciled graffitti in NYC and Andre stickers on phone poles - it was great to see the layered, textured and larger than life art in frames and good lighting.  The rest of the museum was quality, though small.  

I'm wrapping up my weekend finally fininshing up D.H. Lawrence's Women in Love.  

Tomorrow I think I might have to eat burger king, watch a reality show and drink a bud just to balance this all out.

No comments: